Who doesn’t want to save money these days? Read these quick and easy steps to keeping your costs down and your family healthy!
- For every degree you lower your thermostat, your heating costs drop 5%!
- Close off unused rooms as well as the vents inside.
- Open your curtains when the sun is out, this provides solar heat; close them if there is a draft.
- Insulating the first 3′ of the pipe to your water heater will not only crank up the heat 2-4 degrees, but will also save you money!
- Changing the air filter to your furnace will make it work harder, meaning less sickness in your household!
- Close your fireplace damper (people may forget to do this the next day).
- Wrapping your water heater with an insulated blanket (which will cost around $10) can save you 4-9% on your water bill.
- Shut off or dim your lights when possible.
- Led lights may cost more up front, but will save you money in the long run.
- Unplug appliances and turn off any power strips when they’re not in use (Department of Energy says that even when an appliance is still plugged in they are still using about 40% of your electricity!)
- If you have a drafty room, find it! Shrink wrap your windows and fill in your gaps!
- Installing a reverse ceiling fan will drawn down air and help distribute heat!
Stay tuned for more tips on how to keep your family and your home happy and healthy!